Monday, February 7, 2011

Shadow Poem

Language Arts

Here's a classic POEM which can be shared with your students as a follow up or 
extension to the previous science activity (What Causes Shadows?). 















My Shadow

By Robert Louis Stevenson


I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head 
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed. 
The funniest things about him is the way he likes to grow
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an India rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.
He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!
One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.



This poem could lead to a discussion of the science
concepts contained in the poem and/or could inspire
the kids to write their own Shadow Poems.They could
also illustrate the poem.

3 comments:

  1. found you on social moms topic/discussion tab where you posted your blog. do me a favor and follow mine too! check it out!
    http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am a new follower…I found you through SocialMoms.com, if you get a chance I would love to have you check out my blog. Thank you.
    ~KerrieLynn
    KLsCupboard.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Casey and Kerrie for stopping by. I visited both of your sites! Nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...