Monday, July 18, 2011

Ocean in a Bottle with Fish




Fish Arts and Crafts Activity







Materials Needed:


  • small clean, clear, plastic, recycled water bottle with cap
  • water
  • blue food coloring (1 or 2 drops)
  • baby oil 
  • small plastic fish - must be small enough to fit inside bottle
  • sand
  • small shells or pebbles (optional)
  • glue (optional)



Directions

  • Add sand and shells/pebbles to the bottom of the bottle.
  • Add water to fill about 1/2 to 2/3 of bottle.
  • Add food coloring and observe it disperse through the water.
  • Add baby oil to the bottle so that the bottle is almost full.
  • Observe as the baby oil will not mix with the water and food coloring but rises to the top.
  • Add the fish to his new home in the ocean. 
  • Glue the cap if desired. 

Explanation: 
  • The heaviest materials will sink to the bottom (sand, shells, pebbles).
  • The water is heavier than the oil so the oil will rise above the water.

Vegetable oil can also be used but it usually is not as clear as the baby oil.


Follow-Up

  •  Visit  your local or school library and read some cool ocean or fish books!!!!!!



______________________________________________________




12 comments:

  1. Love this! It's perfect for our ocean unit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas to use with the grandkids when they are bored!!
    Following from the blog hop.
    chatterfromtexas.blogspot.com
    www.notecardsandphotosbytheresa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to do this with my kiddos! Following via GFC from the Get Wired Wed. Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS! I'm pinning this on Pinterest and can't wait to try it with my 4-yr old. Thanks for commenting on my paper plate dinosaur craft on my blog. I'm following you now and hope you will come follow back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful idea! I can't wait to make this with my boys! I +1'd it and I'm pinning it, too. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    Happily following you from It's Playtime! I would love it if you would stop by my blog and say hi, and maybe consider following me! :)

    Mandi
    http://boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com/2011/07/attack-of-pom-pom-monsters.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such an easy, fun & creative idea! Perfect for an ocean theme.

    would love to see you link this up to the Sunday Showcase - our weekly child centered linky party - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/2011/07/sunday-showcase-kid-friendly-linky.html

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a lot of fun. My girls love the ocean, we will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting Brooke! Oh yes I can see by your picture how much the girls love the beach! :)Me too...so peaceful and relaxing!
    Enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Brooke!
    Thanks for following. I'm following you back.
    Marcia :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cool might do these as party favors for kids b-day. (9&4) (b-days 4days apart) they want water ocean theam this is so clever and they could make them for their guest. i just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very popular! I've made them many times with kids. I usually recycle the very small Poland Spring water bottles. Have fun! Thanks for stopping by.
      Marcia :)

      Delete
  11. Where did you find plastic fish that are small enough to fit inside the bottle and will float?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...