Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Alligator Fun in Math Class

Using an Alligator's Mouth to teach kids the"Greater Than" and "Less Than" signs is pretty common in elementary math classes.  (The alligator always wants to eat the bigger piece or number!)

I wanted to make some Greater Than and Less Than signs to use with the DIY Fraction Pieces that I blogged about a couple of days ago. Here is one way to make these math signs with simple, inexpensive supplies.


1/4 is greater than 1/8

1/8 is less than 1/4

And of course, we need an equal sign to learn about equivalent fractions!

2/8 = 1/4

The DIY math signs are real easy to make. All you need is some popsicle sticks (mine were already painted), google eyes, glue, and white paper or felt plus a scissors to cut the teeth.

Greater Than Sign
Less Than Sign


Equal Sign
 Even if you don't make the fraction pieces, you can still use the math signs (greater than, less than, and equals) with numbers and objects.



So an alligator in math class can make math fun!


To view the DIY Fraction Math Manipulatives Blog Post click here


If you want to take the Alligator Theme a step further, pick up a couple of these adorable Safari Hats at the Dollar Store! :)





Have fun in math class! :)

10 comments:

  1. I love this!
    Hee hee... when I was a kid, I would take way too long on my greater than/less than worksheets, because I would draw little alligators on them. This takes me back! :-)

    I'd like to invite you to link this (and any other projects you'd like) up on my first link party.
    Your readers are welcome, as well!
    http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/05/super-link-party-1.html

    I hope to see you all there! :-)
    ~Susie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I sense a project coming up for my kids. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea. I remember struggling to learn this as a kid: I wish my teacher had used this! Thanks for sharing, I've stopped by from the Toys in the Dryer linky. Feel free to pop past my blog, happylittlemunchkins.blogspot.com, and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really neat idea. I have pinned it onto my math board. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an absolutely amazing idea and I really love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice way to teach kids about signs of maths, sometimes maths become boring and we think nothing interesting but that time people like you made it more interesting than before.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...